Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ADELAIDE KATEMAS/ KATE BOOKS

From: Scott Telford <scottt@spider.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1991 01:46:00 -0800
Subject: Re: ADELAIDE KATEMAS/ KATE BOOKS
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: USENET News System <news@spider.co.uk>

In article <9107251535.AA28143@spam.ua.oz.au> rfrost@spam.ua.OZ.AU
(Richard Frost) writes:
>QUESTIONS ON KATE BOOKS:
>========================
>
>                What is the book on Kate Bush
>         called the "Visual Documentary" like as
>         I have seen it in the shops and would like
>         an opinion.. is it worth the 30 Aussie dollars
>         that the shop asks?

It's not bad. It's basically a biography covering KaTe's life from
childhood to sometime in 1988 (when it was published) in varying depth.
For the most part, it's reasonably accurate and honest, although the
authors say some slightly strange things at some points. You don't get
many pages per dollar but there are plenty of photos, both studio and
candids including quite a few full-page colour ones (my favorite's the
one of KaTe in a woolly cardigan holding a tea-mug and looking as if
she has a mouthful of tea... it's the look in her eyes I think). It
covers the making of the Experiment IV video in some detail (lots of
colur pics of KaTe in the Sound Demon costume, for some reason).
There's a file in the L-H archive (called 'visual-doc-errors' or
something) written by IED listing all the thing the authors got wrong.

>               There also was a newer book on KaTe
>         with a green front cover with Kate's face with flowers
>         in her hair on it.
>         I cannot recall the full title but it had the word
>         SECRET in it in parenthesis. This book
>         was smaller and 10 dollars cheaper.

That'll be "The Secret History of Kate Bush". I haven't read it but I
think it mostly digs up some dirt about KaTe's ancestry (and some about
East Wickham Farm too?). It's written by IED's favorite anti-hero and
according to IED is apparently full of cr*p.
--
Scott Telford                        "I think she's one of the greatest
Spider Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, UK.    composers of the century, in my opinion."