Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Get out of my House" line revealed!

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1991 14:44:35 -0800
Subject: Re: "Get out of my House" line revealed!
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vickie (obviously!) writes:

>>Vickie here. We just heard something in "Get Out Of My House" that
>>we'd never heard before!

>> we *very* clearly heard a male voice saying...
>>
>>"It's cold out here"

Finally!  That "voice" has been bothering me forever, but usually I have the
music too loud with that album to figure out things like, "Gee, that voice is
on the left track; turn off the right and you'll be able to understand it."
I gave it a listen, in stereo, after I read your post, and I had no trouble
making out the words.  With the right speaker off, it's crystal clear.  Thanks!

Vickie then goes on to discuss the thrill of discovering tidbits, such as:
>>the first time we understood "What about Edward G?"

David Friedman then asks:

>What about Edward G?  I am knew to this group, so please indulge me on
>something that I'm sure has been thouroughly covered before.

Actually, no, I don't *ever* remember seeing that line brought up in the
few years I've been reading gaffa.

The quote is from "There Goes a Tenner," the second track on _The Dreaming_.
It appears like so:

Both my partners
Act like actors,
You are Bogart
He is George Raft
That leaves Cagney and me.
(What about Edward G.?)

I'm not sure if it's done by an impersonator, or if it's lifted from some
old movie/interview/something-or-other, but the line is spoken in the voice
of Edward G. Robinson, another actor who might well have been included in
the list that the main character sings about.

>On the same lines, does anybody know what the words are in the mysterious
>chant at the end of "Leave It Open"?  Once again, this may be old news, but
>I do have an answer from a quasi-reliable source.

"We let the weirdness in."

(oh no!  what if I'm not quasi-reliable?)

Anyway, a most useful source for information is the file "most_lyr.ied"
on the Archives (ftp-able hayes.ims.alaska.edu).  It has IED's (a much more
than quasi reliable source!) transcriptions of just about all the lyrics to
just about all the songs, including a lot of the early demos.  In most cases,
IED has included expositions on most backward masked and otherwise-mysterious
messages.  It is quite interesting to note that he did *not* include the
"It's cold out here" from GOoMH.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |