Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

throwing stupidity to the wind

From: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1991 08:02:26 -0800
Subject: throwing stupidity to the wind
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Cc: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL

Some clown (me) wrote without proofing:

}P.S. the the Happy fans out there.  WXPR "listener supported
}public radio from the University of Penn" played a track
}from Warpaint on 22 July...

To which an eagle-eyed Craig M. Kanarick responded:

}I hate to be a nit-picker, but...
]
}That's WXPN, 88.9 FM.  To say that it is "listener supported"is
}a little misleading.  They *do* receive a hefty sum of money from the
}University, but overall, they do depend on monies from the public
}to survive (I used to be a DJ there, and played quite a bit of KT at
}the time).

My apologies!  I'm even more embarrassed because *I* corrected
someone else on gaffa about a month ago when they misidentified
WXPN.  As far as the current station is concerned, they have
changed recently to a more structured format with set DJs, a
program director, and loosely structured music list.  I was
under the impression that while they had ties to NPR and the
U of P, I thought that at least half of their money was from
the public.  As far as the line, "listener supported public
radio" is concerned, that is *their* current slogan, it was
not me making that up to describe the station.  BTW, Craig,
since I would assume you spent some time in Philly, the DJ
making the non-recommendation was David Dye.

If I may borrow the third person from IED, some clown also
wrote:

}Why is it musically correct to like/respect New Edition (and
}its spinoffs Bell Biv Devoe, Bobby Brown, etc) when it is
}musically incorrect to like/respect the New kids?  The same
}Svengali created both for the sole purpose of generating $$$.

To which Lazlo and then Jessica responded:

}I've never heard of anyone who liked/respected New Edition but
}hated New Kids.  (I don't like either very much, though all of 'em have
}at least one or two decent songs.)

}*Is* it musically correct to "like/respect" New Edition????
}I had no idea there was a set and universal definition for
}"musically correct". Perhaps, if this is true for you, then
}you should really ask yourself the question. Or perhaps,
}instead of asking why this is so, ask *who else* feels that way?

I've seen several posts on this so let me elaborate a bit.
I have BellBivDevoe and I love it.  I learned of them from
MTV and the pop/sex/danceability of it all really grabbed
me.  However, I have noticed that critics (whom I feel
are always striving to be "musically correct") have really
latched on to Rap in general, and groups such as BBD, Public
Enemy, NWA, Queen Latifa, and so on in particular.  Almost as
a reflex, these same people dismiss such pop rappers like MC
Hammer, or Vanilla Ice.  (Kinda like all of us saying, "KaTe
IS God, the New Kids, eoww, yuk!")  What strikes me is that a man
named Maurice Starr created both the New Kids and BBD for the
same financial gain reasons, yet the musically correct people
that are into rap praise BBD and despise the New Kids.

I really don't know why, except that it is musically correct
for these people to feel that way.  Specifically, the
critics for both Rolling Kidney Stone and especially Spin
have recently become so enamored of Rap that they feel they
need to trumpet the genre unflaggingly.  And yet, their
definition of "musical correctness" makes them blind to the
almost identical origins of Bell Biv, et al and the New Kids.
The local Philly paper critic, a guy named Tom Moon has
recently become so rap oriented, that he's not worth reading.
For example, he was very down on Kirsty MacColl's
latest, saying its only highpoint was the rap middle in Walking
Down Madison.

Ah, well, so what's my point?  Who knows, just some blah, blah,
blah.

One last comment, As far as being musically correct is concerned
I am probably far from it.  I'm a big Beach Boys fan and they
haven't been ever musically correct, except when presented as a
medley on the Lawrence Welk show, maybe.  For every Prince CD I
own, I own a Carpenters disc.  For every early Genesis, there's a
George Michael disc in my collection.  I might call myself
musically diverse, but never musically correct.

And, oh yeah, me define "musical correctness"?  I can't figure out
how Deep Purple can be called hard rock and Zep is called heavy metal.

name:   Jimmy                                 If only I could be respected
email:  fingerle@NADC.NAVY.MIL                without having to be respectable!
 -or-   fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL           -Ashleigh Brilliant