Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"The Whole Story Videos" a bit let down

From: neff@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (Dave Neff)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1991 09:06:30 -0800
Subject: "The Whole Story Videos" a bit let down
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

O.K., I just rushed out and bought "The Whole Story" on laserdisc, and
with hopefully some tact, and while wearing my finest asbestos suit,
I have a few observations:

First, some background.  I am a moderate Kate fan, but certainly not a rabid
fan.  I have all her albums on CD, and "The Sensual World" videos on
laserdisc.  I liked "The Sensual World" videos faily well.

Overall, the videos on "The Whole Story" did not impress me.  The early
ones seems rather amateur (Wuthering Heights), the ones from "The Dreaming"
kind of reminded me of Dr. Who (which I like, but also feel amateur),
and the videos off "Hounds of Love", although clearly better produced
and having a larger budget had an overall "muddled" feeling.  Cloudbusting
was O.K., but Kate's hair style and mannerisms kept reminding me of
Raggedy Ann :-).  "Running up that Hill" was just some dancing and
people in masks.  "Hounds of Love" and "The Big Sky" just seemed like
a muddled mess.

I did think the mix of live shots on the "Wow" video were interesting.
I assume this live footage came off of "Live at Hammersmith", which I
have yet to see, and am still waiting for a U.S. laserdisc release.

I don't seem to have "Experiment IV" on any of my Kate CDs.  Where did
this cut come from?  I didn't watch the end of the video since my 2 year
old was sitting next to me, so I skipped it when the demon appeared :-).

Certainly the videos are interesting, and I like Kate's music but on the
whole I was a bit dissapointed.  I particularly expected more from the
"Hounds of Love" videos.  Anyway, the Babooshka video alone was worth
the $24.95 I spent :-).

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM