Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's School

From: ***SEMPSY*** <sre017%cck.cov.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1991 05:11:46 -0800
Subject: Kate's School
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Kate attended a preparatory school before she went to St Joseph's,therefore
her parents paid for her education there.When Kate joined StJoseph's it was
a Grammar school.Unfortunately in the following year 1970,the 11+ exam and
grammar schools were scrapped.Grammar schools either became Comprehensivee
or Public.In Coventry where I live we had around 4  grammar schools,3 became
Comprehensive and 1 became Public.On the 'Nonsense' bit,this applies to after
1970.If you wanted to attend a Grammar school which had gone public,you had
to do well enough in the exam to escape paying,ie receive a scholarship from
the school.I am well aware that before 1970 the only way into a grammar school
was through passing the 11+ exam.The worse thing they ever did was to scrap
the grammar school.It is no wonder the country is in the state it is in,where
if you have a high IQ and no money it is just tough.Grammar schools allowed
children without parents who were rich,to get a decent education.Unfortunately
you have the choice of going to a vastly under-funded state school or if you
are rich enough a Public school with decent resources.
Capitalism and Communism are both political systems that don't work.Capitalism
ie America,where they are the greatest debtors and creditors in the world.
Communism ie Russia,where there is no hope for most people.
I'm sorry if this is not really Kate related, but it really annoys me.
   Andy Semple           sre017@uk.ac.cov.cck