Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Compression on TSW

From: rlm@ms_aspen.hac.com (R. L. McMillin)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 10:42:51 -0800
Subject: Compression on TSW
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Kenneth Brownfield (brownfld@uiuc.edu) writes:

>     What I meant was severely compressed.  A local top-40 station compresses
>the _Hell_ out of their stuff, and it sounds disgusting and blah.  Drums on
>the station sound similar to Rocket's Tail, although not as bad.  I didn't
>take into account that you couldn't read my mind.  :-)

Well, what did you expect?  Especially given the limited bandwidth on FM
stations, and the even more limited bandwidth on AM stations, compression
is a necessity.  Given the dynamic range of Kate's stuff, I would expect
that they automatically turn the compressors/limiters all the way up...

As for Jon Drukman's comment, "Compression is used on practically everything,"
I suggest you take a listen to Telarc CDs.  Don't think I've ever heard a
one that was compressed.