Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (none)

From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 01:58:13 -0800
Subject: Re: (none)
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

shane@shane.UUCP (Shane Bouslough) writes:
>From: shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough)
>>From article <9106201704.aa04642@fscott.sco.COM>,
>	jondr@sco.COM (Vole Lotta Shakin' Going On):
>>> Happy's music is absolutely nothing like Kate's.
>>
>> Then I suggest you cease referring to her as "the closest thing we have to
>> an American Kate Bush."
>I'm not sure who wrote the first part of the quote, but I beg to differ.
>I found the similarity between Happy and Kate striking, indeed, it's the
>reason I bought all Happy's stuff. The epithet "the closest thing we
>have to an American Kate Bush" is pretty good, I wish I'd thought of it :-).

     Then kindly replace the "we" to another, accurate word.

>>>This is so *unbelieveably* unfair!!!! What a rude thing to say! Have you

     Doesn't it suck when someone has a different opinion than you?  Darnit.

[...]
>> I think what Vishal is saying is, "please tell us WHY you like it rather
>> than just saying `it's too cool, buy it now.'"
>The similarities that immediately come to mind are the vocal range,
>the use of question/answer techniques where one (musical) phrase is
[...loud *snip*...]
>Thus, if you like those aspects of KaTe, I can't see how you would fail
>to like Happy as well. Now that I've given some reasons WHY I like it,
>I can say `it's too cool, buy it now.'

     No.
     You just repeated the same mistake.  The reason I like Kate Bush is not
because of question/answer techniques.  True reasons for liking an artist can't
be expressed in words.  I like those aspects of Kate, true.  If I like female
vocals, should I automatically like all female vocalists?  But, put simply, I
don't like Happy anywhere _near_ as much as I like Kate.  Your argument,
besides being provably wrong, leads to the same mistaken conclusion:  "I like
it because it's like Kate, thus if you like Kate, you _will_ like Happy."
     Hasn't this been shown satisfactorily incorrect yet?

[...]
>too "screechy" as in Violin Song. They catch on eventually though. Give
>Happy a chance, she's golden, just as KaTe is.

     Does "a chance" consist of "oh, just put up with this deluge of Happy
info a bit longer, even though you don't want to read it"?  I gave her a
chance by buying Warpaint.  I don't need to feel guilty because I don't like
her as a Goddess, and your opinion doesn't have any impact on what I believe,
as you seem to think it does.  Don't take that wrong, when the Happy stuff
first got off the ground, it was the greatest thing.  When the Holier Than Thou
Happy Fan crowd pushed in, my lunch involuntarily pushed out.
     I will carefully assume "she's golden, just like KaTe is." had an
invisible IMO after it.  Correct assumption?
     As of now, the Happy traffic is mostly this argument, and I haven't seen
a problem (besides the _other_ side of this argument. :-)  Happy isn't as
popular among us as Kate is, and I think the attitude during the discussion
of Happy should be different than the attitude of Kate discussion for that
reason.  I certainly don't see people saying "David Sylvian is golden, just as
KaTe is."  We either say everything is like Kate (or everything _is_ KaTe :-)
or that Kate is the centerpiece of this group, with many, many other artists
that are liked by parts of this group, and should be discussed without the
"Centerpiece Protective Attitude."  Not to be confused with any tests.
     If this last paragraph can be agreed on, can the argument stop?  I'm busy
trying to find out when the Chicago Katemas is!  ;-)

--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu