Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: SNR on Sensual World vs Hounds of Love

From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 16:22:54 -0800
Subject: Re: SNR on Sensual World vs Hounds of Love
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:
>Some have suggested that the mix might be at fault since it seems a
>bit muddy.  The mixing was handled by Kevin Killen who did excellent
>work on Peter Gabriel's _So_ among others.  If Killen contributed

     _So_ on CD, to be a bit exaggerative and blunt, has a deflating tire as
BV's on all the tracks.  Mercy Street would be devine if it weren't for *hiss*.
The mixing sounds excellent, but the hiss detracts from the music a great deal
for me.  It's one of the most hissful (gawd) CD I have next to Pink Floyd's
_Wish You Were Here_.

>anything to the sound problems on _The Sensual World_ it was a slightly
>muddy mix, not background noise.  In fact, this muddy mix might have
>been an attempt to mask some of the noise.  _Walk Straight Down the
>Middle_ was mixed by Del Palmer and has a much crisper sound but still
>even more tape hiss and noise.

     Hiss was the _least_ for WSDTM on the CD I have.  You could be right about
the mud to counter the hiss.  I'd prefer hiss if I had the choice, tho.  I'd
assume that Del didn't change his engineering strategy just for WSDTM.

--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu