Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: vickie is happy

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 06:47:56 -0800
Subject: Re: vickie is happy
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jon Drukman had his Happy Rhodes fan club membership revoked when he wrote:
> Vickie said:
>>As far as "synth-padding" goes, here it comes again:
>>You haven't heard the songs. There is no padding or filler on her albums.
>
> I think Richard meant padding in the musical sense, where you play a chord
> and it fills out the background of the music.  That's called a "pad."  On
> the other hand, maybe he was just being mean.  (You wouldn't do that, would
> you Richard?  You're the kinder and gentler love-hound!)

Kinder and gentler to some, hostile without the saving grace of your
wit and sarcasm to others.  All of these things, maybe, but mean?  I hope
not.  It's certainly not my intention to be mean but I can't deny that
I do suffer from fits of pique from time to time.

In any case, the padding remark was a referring to what I find all too
often in single person efforts with small budgets, not a criticism of
Happy Rhodes (since I haven't heard it).  At worst, you might say it's
what I was afraid Happy might be.  Oddly enough some people reacted
as though I proposed to give them a root canal with an ice pick and
a Daffy Duck PEZ dispenser.  I wonder if I touched a nerve?

> Richard heard Caterwaul on a tape I made for him of about 20 different
> female vocal tracks.  I just listed the artists and titles, he asked about
> the stuff that interested him.  Quite different from logging in every day
> and seeing five new messages telling him to mail order all their stuff.

Jon even put some '70s disco music on there as a joke.  Um, that was a
joke wasn't it Jon?

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com