Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Funny how these things go . . .

From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1991 05:46:56 -0800
Subject: Re: Funny how these things go . . .
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

stevev@greylady.uoregon.EDU (Steve VanDevender) writes:

>Excerpted from a chronology of Kate Bush distributed with Ron
>Hill's _Cloudbusting_:
>[ Kate's early self-made demo tapes are sent to major record companies. ]
>>All the major companies are approached. None accepts.
>>Kate's songs are described as "morbid", "boring" and "uncommercial".
> ^^^^                           ^^^^^^    ^^^^^^       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Hmm, there's been much the same reaction to another
> artist's early work in some places lately.  But I won't
> name names :-).

     That's funny.  If they were talking about Happy Rhodes, they'd be wrong.
     In My Extremely Humble, Extremely Subjective Opinion, or for future
reference, IMEHESO.
     Morbid?  No, not especially.  Slightly pessimistic.  Boring?  Yes, to
some (I happen to have one foot in this camp.)  Uncommercial?  No, it could do
well commercially, I would think.  This has been commented on ("She isn't
signed to a major label?")
     IMEHESO.
     Someone could say the same about Black Tape for a Blue Girl's second
album.
     Someone could say the same thing about Vanilla Ice's "album."
     Etc., ad nauseum.
     IMEHESO.
     Sorry, temporary curmudgeonism (sp?) due to mood and aproximately zero
sleep.  _No_ nastiness intended.
--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu