Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: oodles and pages of lyrics

From: brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1991 08:24:05 -0800
Subject: Re: oodles and pages of lyrics
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) writes:
>   Just a thought, folks. To avoid posts that go on and on for page
>after page after page, such as the recent lists of Happy lyrics, how
>bout this for an idea? Instead of posting all the lyrics for an entire
>album/whatever on one day, maybe a posting of one or two single songs
>per day with an entire album's worth spread out over a week or two
>would take care of some of the glut.

     Actually, it seems that (to me, IMHO, et al) the _number_ of messages is
more annoying.  If I don't want Happy lyrics (hypothetically) I can just kill
one file for an entire album.  Otherwise I'd have to go through and cancel
12 messages instead (not that I would.)  This may be completely different for
mailing list people, I'm not speaking for them (yet. ;-) ;-)
     This is called Asbestos-ese.
     There's not really an anti-Happy movement, or Kate vs. Happy feelings,
from what I can tell.  Some people love Happy to death (or life ;-) and others
*yawn* a bit more.  Happy belongs here, but there are two points that need to
me made: 1) when the lyrics came out, Happy traffic skyrocketed.  Everyone
who wanted the stuff was elated.  Everyone that didn't grew annoyed.  The
lyrics and beginning traffic was enough for a separate Happy mailing list.
2) The Happy traffic as it stands is _not_ enough for it's own list, IMOSVHO.
The traffic should slope down to a normal level for musical artists in love-
hounds/gaffa.  It has already.
     I think if the discussion is dropped there won't be any more fur being
rubbed the wrong way.  The Happy discussion should equalize.  Can anyone
honestly say that the Happy traffic in the future will be in enough bulk to
justify a mailing list?  From what I can tell...
     UnHappy UnMusical, myself.

>                   judi
							Ken.
--