Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1991 14:09:26 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@ukc.ac.uk

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk (K House)
Subject: Re: 0 levels????
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1991 22:09:20 GMT

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:

>In article <1991Jun13.001804.24370@cs.dal.ca>, graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham) writes:
>> i remember reading somewhere that Kate had ten or so "0 levels". What does
>> this mean. Obviously it means that she is very intelligent, but what is the
>> american (or canadian) equivalent?

>Evidently your question got sucked into a black hole and spit out
>almost six years ago for Henry Chai to answer! :-)

But in case you want to know more :-

'O' levels or ordinary levels are exams taken by many schoolchildren at the age
of 16 (or thereabouts). Asking the half a dozen or so people sat around me, the
general concensus is that only approximately 20% of children succeed in getting
any O levels at all. The average 'A level' student (i.e. ages 17-18) has to
first pass five or more 'O levels'. Three (usually) A levels are required for
entry to University (aprrox 1% of population get to this). By this scale, if
Kate does indeed have 10 O levels that puts her in the top percent or two
based on exam performance. She clearly could have gone on to A levels and
presumably from there to University. Luckily for us she had something else to
do  :-) (BTW, O levels no longer exist, they have been replaced by GCSE's, but
I won't go into that).

Hope this explains it.

Kevin (One day I'll post about Kate, honest :-)
|  Kevin House           |  School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,    |
|  ee8kh@uk.ac.bath.gdt  |  University of Bath, ENGLAND                       |