Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

skinner box & toyah

From: zengineers-r-us <REWOICC%ERENJ.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 11:06:01 -0800
Subject: skinner box & toyah
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu>

larry spence sez:
>Joanna Townshend?  Julianna Townshend?  I forget, too... but I wanted to
>make a plug for skinnerbox.  I got their (her) CD with the most recent
>album _The Playhouse_ and the previous one, _The Imaginary Heart Of_ on
>a single disc.

i think that _the imaginary heart of_ is newer material as _the playhouse_
has been available on vinyl for about a year now (almost a year anyways).
the double cd has just sudddenly popped up...

skinnerbox also has a eponymous debut that is a lot darker and maniacal.
_the imaginary heart of_ is, in some ways, synth fluff next to the first
release.

by the way, there is a ska band in the new york area who call themselves
skinnerbox as well. i found out the hard way: going to a skinnerbox show
at wetlands only to find a seven-member ska band on stage. no matter - i
still had a good time.

>I haven't seen much mention of _Ophelia's Shadow_ on the net, but I might
>have missed it.  This is not the same as the Sunday All Over The World
>disc that I think Toyah almost ruins.

oops - i goofed. i had thought that previous comments were aimed at
_ophelia's shadow_, not the other one, which i have not heard yet.

is _saotw_ released under her name? or is that the artist name?

>I haven't heard OS (after the
>SAOTW disc, I wasn't too keen on more Toyah), but I've heard it described
>as SAOTW with a different guitarist (no Fripp).

gack...when i first listened to _os_, i could have sworn that a differ-
ent version of crimson had been assembled. then i looked at the liner
notes and saw the band members. can't compare it to _saotw_ though.

>How are the lyrics?  If I hear another Toyah lyric about marrying and/or
>marriage, I'll puke (and I'm a happily married sort of a guy)! %)

hmmm...so far, i've really only listened for the music (i usually end up
distracted by something else when listening and all i hear is the music
anyways). i did read the lyrics to the first song and it sure didn't seem
like it was about matrimony! :)

woj@work (look v - no sig! :P :)