Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cloudbusting Update.

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 04:02:03 -0800
Subject: Cloudbusting Update.
To: Love-Hounds@ims.alaska.edu

        Cloudbusting - Kate Bush In Her Own Words, is an attempt to gather
every quote from Kate and arrange them by Song, Story, and Subject order.  The
idea is allow a fan to look up any song, year, or subject and see all of
Kate's quotes, speaking for themselves, with no "clarification" or
"interpetation."
      Part I - The Songs, is ordered chronologically, with each song given an
entry under the appropriate album and B-sides and the like discussed between
album.  The albums themselves also each have quotes for them.
        Part II - The Story, is all the quotes related to Kate's life, in
chronological order, with only the year dividing them.
        Part II - Subjects, include entries on people, places, things,
emotions, and other subjects that don't easily fall into the first two Parts.
It is arranged alphabetically into about 130 different subjects, from Acting
to Weirdness.
        Part IV - Sources, is a brief file that will give credits and
references and other useful information.

        I, just today, finished cuting, pasting, and typing, every quote I
have access to into Cloudbusting.  With the exception of a few early
interviews IED has promised to type in for me any time now.  Cloudbusting is
currently 1.3 megabytes long, though it will probably be about 1.2 megabytes
after editing.  What I need to do now, is go through and "clean up" all the
quotes, ie. make them all consistant in form and run the spelling checker on
them.  Then I need to go through and carefully consider what to keep and what
to edit out.  The interviewers questions will be mostly what is cut out - when
it is possible to do that and still make the quote make sense.  I will also
edit out quotes that say the same thing, again attempting to be careful as to
what is cut.  I have no idea how long this will take, but I will probably
start in on it this weekend.  I am hopeing it will take a maximum of two
weeks.
        When I have finished it, I will post it as seperate 20-25k messages,
one a day, so as not to clog up the network.  This will no doubt take some
time, but I hope to use that time to finish another project I am working on
and start in on Cloudbusting 2.0. I also will look forward to people finding
all the mistakes in it, so that the next version will be error free.  This
will be full disk versions of Cloudbusting, with the updated and corrected
text, graphics, and sound.  This will hopefully exist in AMIGA, IBM, and MAC
formats, with all three formats containing sound and graphics.  I already have
everthing set up to do the conversions, though it will take time to integrate
everything on each format and figure the ideal way to compress things.
        The idea for the disk versions is that you would select an album, then
the cover of the album (or an alternative shot from the photo session of the
album, when available) will be displayed with the name of the songs on the
album on the side, while a short sampled sound  from the album will be played.
 You will then be brought into the text for that album.  There will also be
photo colloches for the Story and Subject sections.  I already have very high
quality digitized photos that noboby has yet seen, but am hoping to find more
"alternative" shots.  Yes, there will be sampled sound on all IBMs, played
through the little speaker.  It sounds crummey, but it's more interesting in a
way, since it's not used as often on the IBM, from what I understand.
        All of these versions will be in the archives and, for a while anyway,
on The Big Sky BBS.  I will also probably offer to send people copies for 5 or
6 bucks or so.  The Amiga version, which will be the main version, will be on
two disks. THe MAC version I am hopeing to use HYPERCARD for, but I don't have
any way of copying real mac disks (I am using an emulator on my Amiga), so I
will probably put it on two or three IBM disks using Apple Commodities
Exchange.  The IBM version will be available, probably compacted some way or
another, on two 3 inch 720k disks, which is the larger capacity I have access
to.

        I am also finishing up the conversion of Andrew Marvick's THE GARDEN.
 This is a compilation of original articles and transcriptions of interviews.
It has in the past been distributed in printed form, as the files were in a
strange IBM typesetting program format which wasn't easily readable.  I have
converted (it wasn't easy :-)  all of these to Wordperfect 4.1 files, which
also means, of course, that they can easily be put into "straight text"
format.  I have also divided them up to more easily referenced file names,
since it will now be read mainly through computers.
        The original articles in THE GARDEN include an updated chronology,
disco/videographies, and a rare records list.  Also included is ALL the lryics
(including background voices and the like) to ALL of Kate's songs (including
unrealeased songs).  This is obviously a great improvement over previously
available lyrics.
        The transcriptions include all of Kate's, John, and Paddy Bush's
articles for the KBC newsletter.  Also included are almost every article ever
posted here in the past, plus many that weren't.   All of these reprints were,
of course, used as the source files for CLOUDBUSTING.  I also imagine IED will
be adding some of the TV interviews that I have transcribed.
        The only problem with the GARDEN is that the first transcription file,
which include early interviews, was lost.  However IED is going re-type it
using his print outs, so I imagine the whole thing will be posted to the
archives in the not to distant future.  I will start posting some of original
files as messages in a day or two to help pass the time before Cloudbusting.

        I was hopeing to include some of the original Garden sections (like
the Lyrics and Chronology) on the Cloudbusting disks, but how much I include
will depend on how much space I have left on each format.

Ron "if I never type another Kate inteview, I will still feel like typing
everytime I watch TV" Hill

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com