Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy kill files

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 16:24:42 -0800
Subject: Re: Happy kill files
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Michael Graham writes:
>I thought that the kill file looks only at the subject line, not the entire
>body of the message - I am pretty sure of this.

Sorry, but you're wrong.  I believe the correct command would be
"/happy/a:j" to get rid of anything with 'happy' in the entire body.  And
I believe that "/happy/h:j" will get rid of anything with 'happy' in the
entire header. I may have the commands slightly wrong (I don't maintain
any kill files, thought I've used them on occasion over the years), but I
do know it's possible.  Slow and drastic, but possible.

>This may be a viable solution
>to those of us reading the newsgroup, but for those who get the digest
>it isn't.

a) Mike Mendelsohn already offered his SED scripts for dividing up the
digest.

b) I'm pretty sure the 'mh' unix mail handler can explode digests into
seperate chunks; don't any of the other mailers on various systems?

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | Time for you to / Be who you are."       |