Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe imitators

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 12:49:43 -0800
Subject: Re: KaTe imitators
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <15373@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.EDU (Doug Burks) writes:
> listened to it six or seven times, and my opinions of what certain songs mean
> have changed tremendously.  Comparatively, KaTe's lyrics show much less of
> her soul or emotions.  Musically, Jane's voice hops, jumps, leaps, and dances
> around the melody, while KaTe sings her lyrics more straightforwardly, albeit
> in her own unique style.  As for the music itself, Jane's style varies much

I could not possibly disagree more strongly.  I have two Jane Siberry
CDs, _No Borders Here_ and _The Walking_.  And I personally fail to
see even a fraction of the "soul or emotion" that I feel in Kate's music
in Jane's work.  Perhaps you don't consider it to be the same because
Kate so often speaks through characters rather than personally but for
me those characters typically develop more depth and emotion in one
track than I can glean from either of Jane's works that I've heard.

Further, I would swear that you have the names in your second sentence
reversed.  Jane's delivery strikes me at times as being virtually
monotonic while it seems to me that Kate's "hops, jumps, leaps, and
dances around the melody."

Alas, Jane's music simply hasn't struck a chord with me and at this
point I'm not even sure if we'll keep the CDs we have. It has it's
moments but for me they are few enough and far enough between that I'd
rather be listening to something else.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com