Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe imitators

From: decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!padraigm@uunet.UU.NET (Patrick McFarland)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 21:58:35 -0800
Subject: Re: KaTe imitators
To: rec-music-gaffa@apple.com
Expires: Never expires
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Doug,

I really agree with just about everything you've had to say.

First, as to the JaNe Siberry's wannabeism, although I love certain of
her songs, On the Beach, in particular, and I feel that no amount of
criticism can take away the originality of these pieces, I can see how
JaNe's material could be taken for imitation, and I think THAT is just
the fear that results from hearing ANY woman express her TRUE views..

Secondly, as re Happy Rhoades, I love her music, and I think I can explain
this misunderstanding:  KaTe grew up in an evironment where
one was forced into self-reliance.  It is a happy accident of karma that
this divine spirit was practically ordained to become a musical virtuosity
of the highest order.  Happy had no such fortunate soil.  As anyone in the
U.S. can attest, the artistic climate (as the political climate) caters to
conformism, and I admire the (superhuman, actually) effort she has had to
exert to accurately express her own Art.  If it relies on KaTe's rather
heavily, well so be it - I myself rely on a goddess.

Pat
--
"A thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I"-STC
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"-HST