Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy, Musical. if you don't want a happy post, don't read this

From: jessica@remus.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 11:03:56 -0800
Subject: Happy, Musical. if you don't want a happy post, don't read this
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

For John Barger, my answer is in the subject.

To the "Un-Happy" people, your views don't seem to consolidate into
one serious attitude for me.  I understand that some of you can't read
netnews and long postings about non-kate-related material are a
nuisance.

Some say the discussions will die down - with 5 albums, complex and
interesting, I disagree.

Some people say "most Happy posts are ok, just do the long
stuff be e-mail" - I say it doesn't work that way, if the mailing list
exists, discussions *will* happen there, not here.

I am not worried though - i expect it will go much the way other
smaller lists have gone - some discussion takes place on the lists,
major announcements still get made in larger forums.

I must say that I am surprised that people have interpreted the
recommendations for Happy as "force feeding". I, like many, am
hesitant to purchase an album unless i've heard some of it. The
problem with Happy Rhodes is that how am I going to get the chance to
hear it unless I go ahead and order it? Will I wait forever until
someone else gets it? There aren't many people who read
rec.music.gaffa here at rutgers, and even fewer who'd be more willing
than I to buy an album recommended here but never heard. I expect
it's like that at many sites. We're a dispersed group.

I can't imagine hearing a new artist and absolutely loving it and
*not* letting the people here know about it. I guess the problem is
just that so many of us discovered this at the same time. Think about
it, if just one of the posts have been made, it wouldn't have seemed
this way at all. And it's just that everyone who's heard her music so
far, has liked it very very much.

I know that not everyone i know will like Happy Rhodes, in the same
way that I know that not everyone will like Kate, and not everyone
will like Concrete Blonde, etc.... but I also know that as Happy's
music has made a difference to me, it may make a difference to a lot
of other people out there, and I would like to let them know about
it's existence.

But anyway, I'll announce the mailing list's address tonight.

			  jessica
--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||