Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy posts

From: jbg@wsc-sun.boeing.com (James Glidewell)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 08:42:00 -0800
Subject: Happy posts
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

I have seen a couple of comments along the lines of "Well, if you
don't want to read this Happy stuff, just hit "N" (or skip them, or
whatever). It's clear to me that the people saying this are lucky
enough to be reading the NetNews version of Love-Hounds, rec.music.gaffa.

There are a number of us however, who read Love-Hounds via the mailing
list. For us, there is no "N" key, only ctrl-S/ctrl-Q. And so I sit here
and watch 500 lines of Happy lyrics scroll by, with my finger on the "Q"
key, waiting for the next Kate related article to scroll up. This can be
quite frustrating. I'm sure that most of the "unHappy" readers are mailing
list subscribers, rather than rec.music.gaffa readers.

I don't really have a strong opinion on whether a Happy mailing list
should be formed. I'm still interested in her, despite the somewhat
alienating over-promotion that she has received on this list (I'm not
sure that I want to become a "born-again" Happy believer), and would
like to keep track of what's happening with her. But making us poor
mailing list readers wade through page after page of peripheral stuff
(this is a Kate Bush group, after all) borders on being rude. I believe
that this is unintentional rudeness, based on a lack of understanding
of other love-hound's facilities (or lack thereof) for reading the group.

I think that if the LARGE Happy postings were eliminated / moved to email,
it would go a long way toward making peace between the Happy / unHappy camps.

Later....

Jim Glidewell