Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy? UnHappy? Musical ? UnMusical?

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1991 05:56:18 -0800
Subject: Happy? UnHappy? Musical ? UnMusical?
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

I'd like to offer to tabulate votes on the Happy question.  Just make the
subject line either "Happy" or "UnHappy" so I can trash 'em without reading
further.  UnHappy will mean you'd prefer the Happy traffic gets moved to a
separate mailing list, Happy will mean you'd rather it didn't.

While we're at it, can I also see whether you want the Musical List of
Lists to be posted to gaffa? Say, "Musical" and "UnMusical"?  (eg, Happy
Musical, Happy UnMusical, UnHappy Musical, UnHappy UnMusical)

My two cents is that I've got "Warpaint" and like it okay, but not yet
enough to plunk for the others, though I suspect I'll like them better when
I finally do. (I'm notoriously hard to please-- even Jane hasn't got me to
buy yet.)  But I want to keep Happy-traffic here, because the glut is
surely passed, and the overlap in interest is clearly overwhelming.  (Is
there anyone who's heard Happy but _wouldn't_ subscribe?)  I think it's
exciting to watch her star ascending, and I can't really see the separate
mailing list earning its keep in the long run.  And I guess some people
won't be able to get the mailing list?

I can't see why anyone should be turned off by excessive enthusiasm.  I
sympathise with people whose software/hardware/etc makes it slow to slog
past uninteresting stuff (I wonder though if there aren't shortcuts
available (like "k") if you knew what they were).  Compared to other
groups, I think we've been kind of spoiled by high s/n.  (Is there anyone
who's actually paying for their connect time?)

To gripe about the lyrics just seems crabby to me, because even if you
haven't heard her yet you ought to be glad to have the opportunity to save
them, for when...