Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: questions

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1991 08:56:21 -0800
Subject: Re: questions
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Michael Graham writes:

>Will someone please tell me what:
>
> "be running up that road
>  be running up that hill
>  be running up that building"
>
>means?
>I know what the song means, but what about this part of the chorus?
>This is the third time!
>

>Anyway - back to my question - will someone PLEASE answer it???? - thanks

Gee golly!  Maybe people aren't *ignoring* your question so they can talk
about Happy Rhodes; maybe they aren't replying because they don't have the
faintest idea what the answer might be.

The first time I saw your question I thought, "Oh, neat!  I hope someone
can answer that 'cause I've wondered about it too."  But to bitch and moan
about the glut of Happy Rhodes material forcing your to ask the question
3 times gets a bit much.

I think it was Mike Mendelsohn who pointed out that the Happy Rhodes bandwidth
does not preclude KaTe; this newsgroup is dedicated to her.  It does point out
that there just aint that much to talk about right now.  It's been two and
a half years since her last album.  Since then, there's been the box set,
but people have been talking about the B-sides for years.  "Under the Ivy"
or other songs on there might have inspired a lot of conversation if they
were knew, but as it was, there was *nothing* other than stuff about how
great it is, and how happy everyone is to have it on CD finally.

As for unanswered questions, well, the most recent ones I've seen were the
ones about "The Empty Bullring" and KaTe's cats (answered by Ron Hill with
some interview clips), the one about RUTH (which I'm about to take a stab
at), and a long list of questions a day or two ago from someone who'd
discovered gaffa at 7am and was all excited.  I'd considered answering his
questions, but noticed that all of the questions were covered by the
monthly posting, which I believe was posted fairly recently and I figured
would be available in that guy's backlog of messages.

I'm at least partially responsible for the whole Happy Rhodes glut of late.
I, too, thought it was a bit much to be re-posting old messages.  I will
point out that I never posted lyrics to the net, I mailed them to people
who asked, and I will also point out that Vickie has been promising to post
them for months.  No one should have been surprised at seeing them appear.
If you're that desperate, remember the magical kill file.  /Happy/a:j will
get rid of all messages with the word 'Happy' in them.  Of course, you
might lose a few other messages 'cause it's a semi commone word, but hey,
the option's there.

'Nuff said...

On to Michael's question:

Like I said, at first I was hoping someone would answer your question because
I've wondered the same thing, but I never took the time to read the lyrics
and try to figure it out for myself...yeah, yeah, I know, I'm lazy.
Anyway, I was looking at the lyrics last night and now I at least have a
thought.

The key, to me, is the modified chorus at the end:

"And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places
Be running up that road
Be running that hill
With no problems."

It seems to me she's just talking about the strength, the power the couple
would get from the experience.  Sort of, "If we go through this together,
we'd be strong enough to run up roads, hills, or even buildings."  And while
the woman doesn't need to argue with her lover over whether or not they
go through the experiment--they have no real choice, she still wants to
convince him that it's a good idea, and that they'd benefit from the
experience.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are        --Happy Rhodes |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | Be strong, be true                       |