Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happyless people.

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1991 01:06:01 -0800
Subject: Happyless people.
To: Love-Hounds@ims.alaska.edu

        Well I might as well put in my two cents.  I don't have any happy
tapes as my "Kate budget" (paying off the trip, Cloudbusting costs, etc) has
precluded me getting em.  Also it costs me about a buck an hour to be one
here, or more if I go on before 11pm.  But still, if other people want to
discuss Happy here, it doesn't bother me, I can just skip the messages and go
back and read them if I need to.  I don't think that when any Kate events
happen that all the Happy talk will survive, and I don't think it hurts the
group, other then some of us having to skip past the messages.  Anybody else
feel the same was, I mean amoung people who have no Happy tapes?

        Micheal Graham, I don't think I have any quotes about that part of the
chorus.  I'll look again.

        Welcome to the group, Dan.  Here are some quotes that may give a
little more information.

THE EMPTY BULLRING
------------------
     This is a song that I first had ideas for quite a few years ago.
It is really about someone who is in love with someone who is obsessed
with something that is pretty futile. They can't get the person to
accept the fact that it is a futile obsession. To put it into a sort
of story form: he became a matador, and got gored so badly that he
couldn't carry on. But at night he climbs out of the window and runs
off to a bullring, when there is no-one there, and he fights a bull
that doesn't exist.

     Who is Tamlain, mentioned in The Empty Bullring?
     "Tamlain is a girl in a traditional fairy story, who is locked up in an
ivory tower."   (1983, KBC 14)

PETS
----
     Why did you call your cats Zoodle and Pyewacket?
     "Paddy says that Zoodle is a German word for snoot, and I got the name
from him. I don't know where the name Pyewacket came from--it just seemed a
good idea at the time, as they say. We actually call her Pye." [Kate may or
may not be speaking candidly here, but for the record "Pyewacket" is the name
of a very popular fictional cat, the "familiar" of Kim Novak's witch-character
in the 1958 film Bell, Book and Candle, from the play by van Druten. Based on
the wonderful atmosphere and subject of this movie, and the really important
role of the cat in the story, it seems very likely that Kate got the name from
this film, or from the play on which it is based.]  (1979, KBC 3)

     What breed are Zoodle and Pyewacket, and what colour are they?
     "Zoodle and Pye are--I think you call them 'moggies'. One
is black with one little white toe and the other one is black and
white."  (1980, KBC 5)

     Before we end the interview, one more quick question. What do you feed
your cats?
     "Ummm...Food, normally."
     What kind of food?
     "Tinned food...and fish. Fishy-wishy!"  (1985, Love-Hounds)

      I know you like animals and I hear you keep cats. I wondered how
many you have?
     "I used to have two cats. Zoodle and Pyewackit, but I'm afraid that
Zoodle died earlier this year. I was very upset, but she was eleven and had a
good life. She was a beautiful cat. Pyewackit is
absolutely fine, although she missed Zoodle at first. A few months ago we
adopted a stray, feeding her and letting her live in the garage, and she had
three kittens. We now have the 3 kittens. They are called Rocket, Sparky and
Torchy. And although Pye didn't like them all at first, they all get on really
well now, and we find them cuddled up on a chair together when we get in.
They're such good company for her, and they all have such different
personalities. It's so entertaining just sitting watching them play. It's
bringing out the kitten in Pye: I've noticed her springing across the floor
and leaping onto ledges that are far too small for her. She does things she
hasn't tried for years and seems to be enjoying it all. I guess we're all
young at heart, but sometimes it takes something to rediscover it!"  (1987,
KBC 21)

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com