Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

News submission for rec.music.gaffa

From: news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1991 13:21:31 -0800
Subject: News submission for rec.music.gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: dlk5n@bayes.math.Virginia.EDU (Daniel King)
Subject: bullring/KaTe's cat
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Sat Jun  8 21:14:27 1991 GMT

This is my first posting to gaffa--like many others I quietly sit back
and enjoy the postings of others.  But I do have a few questions and
comments.

One of my favorite KaTe songs (one of my 30 favorites I should say!)
is The Empty Bullring which, as you probably know, is about a man
who has lost his focus and tries to hang on to a once glorious past.
In one of the lines KaTe refers to being left alone, "like Tamlaine
in her tower," or at least something thats sounds like that.
Does anybody know to what KaTe is referring to here?
I have not been able to find any literature references in the usual
sources.  The name sounds Irish to me and if this is the case, the
name is probably spelled Tamlaine.  The name certainly does not
sound Spanish and yet my guess is that this is a reference to something
in Spanish literature given the nature of the rest of the song.
Anybody have a clue?

Are there any love-hounds in Eastern Ontario or Western Quebec?
Does anybody know of a KaTemas party happening in Toronto, Ottawa
or Montreal? If not, perhaps it is time to organize one.  Anybody
interested should e-mail me at the address below.

A friend of mine was reading a bio of KaTe which mentioned her
cat Pyewackit (or is it Pyewackett?).  He remembers seeing a wood-
block print from the 17th Century of a woman (Ioan Skelton?) surrounded
by three cats one of which was named Pyewackett.  Supposedely, this
woman was a witch and the cats were her familiars.  There was a well
known witch-finder at that time by the name of Hopkins, a fraud whose
antics condemned scores of poor old women to death including this one.
My friend is fuzzy on the details.  Can anybody add any info
as to how KaTe came to name her cat?

Dan King
Dept. of Mathematics
University of Ottawa                 dking@uottawa.bitnet