Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Enough of musical separatism

From: vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1991 09:38:04 -0800
Subject: Re: Enough of musical separatism
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

stevev@greylady.uoregon.EDU (Steve VanDevender) writes in response to my post:

>>Folks, this Happy stuff is getting to be sickening. I am tired of wading
>>through endless streams of Happy posts to find the occassional Kate article.
>>While I have always appreciated reading about artists other than Kate on
>>Gaffa, and consider Gaffa an important source of information for expanding
>>my musical tastes, this barrage of Happy related material is a bit much.
>
>But by this point I was getting pretty miffed.

Aww... Too bad for you.

>First, you say that you appreciate hearing about other artists in
>this forum.  But not, of course, if they come even close to
>approaching the popularity of Kate, even if such a thing is
>likely to be only temporary.

You don't get it, do you ? I wish Happy well and if she is getting
popular I am certainly glad for her. What I do take exception to is
the frothing-at-the-mouth kind of proselytizing that has been going on
here lately, the "all you have to do is take a listen and you will also froth"
attitude. If you must proselytize, try to do it with class. I am also
tired of the endless postings by recent Happy convertees basically saying:
"I just got my Happy tapes and she is like *AWESOME*. I feel *so* *cool*
now that I am a Happy fan."

>_If_ it turns out that discussion of Happy Rhodes really starts
>to overwhelm the group, _then_ it may be necessary to split off a
>new mailing list.

Please define "overwhelming" for us, so we may know when to be overwhelmed.
I think we are past this point already and from what I have seen in some
recent posts, so do several others.

- Vishal