Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Enough of musical separatism

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1991 00:44:42 -0800
Subject: Enough of musical separatism
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

No one knows why vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey) wrote:
  (thank you, Jon Drukman)
>Happy raves, Happy lyrics, and now they are posting Happy interviews ??!!
>Yikes !!! Whatever next ? How about Happy gifs, a tour, and a lunchbox ?
>While we are at it, we might as well start spelling KaTe Bush as kate busH.

Up to this point, I thought this posting was intended to be humorous.

>Folks, this Happy stuff is getting to be sickening. I am tired of wading
>through endless streams of Happy posts to find the occassional Kate article.
>While I have always appreciated reading about artists other than Kate on
>Gaffa, and consider Gaffa an important source of information for expanding
>my musical tastes, this barrage of Happy related material is a bit much.

But by this point I was getting pretty miffed.

First, you say that you appreciate hearing about other artists in
this forum.  But not, of course, if they come even close to
approaching the popularity of Kate, even if such a thing is
likely to be only temporary.

Let's face it, there are a lot more interesting things to say
about Happy Rhodes right now than there are to say about Kate.
There may be an impending Kate album, and an even impending tour
(SeKond Koming indeed!) but there is little more than the
rehashing of old arguments and occasional rumors of what is to
come.  So some of us are choosing to use this forum for its
long-agreed-upon secondary purpose of discussing other
alternative musicians.

>Those of you who want to talk about Happy, please consider setting up a
>mailing list or forming a separate news group. Spare the rest of us.

_If_ it turns out that discussion of Happy Rhodes really starts
to overwhelm the group, _then_ it may be necessary to split off a
new mailing list.  However, I think you fail to appreciate the
temporality of discussion on the net.  Much of the recent traffic
has largely been the result of the lyrics postings, which were in
big chunks because Vickie 'n' Chris don't have continual access
to a modem and have to do what they can when they can manage to
read and reply to their mail.

Frankly, I'd rather see discussion of Happy Rhodes (and not just
because I'm a fan) than IED and Drukman slugging it out over some
other bit of rehashed Kate trivia.  No disrepeKT to the goddess
that is Kate Bush, but I think even She would not want us to dote
so ceaselessly upon her and her music.