Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mention of Kate in the _San Francisco Bay Guardian_

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 20:44:48 PDT
Subject: Mention of Kate in the _San Francisco Bay Guardian_

The current _San Francisco Bay Guardian_ (June 5) includes an eight-page
Music Supplement.  One of the articles, by Kevin Berger, talks about
the sorry state of music reporting in the media.  He complains about how
chart numbers have taken over discussions of interesting, different music.
He complains about the corporate commercial rock stations.  In short,
he has all the usual complaints we've expressed at one time or another.
But here's a quote from the article:

     "But I honestly believe that the days are over when we can say without
reservation that a rock artist is noteworthy because he or she is popular.
In the last decade, the best rock has proliferated on the cultural fringes,
beyond the numbers, on the other side of popularity (off the top of my
head: . . . Kate Bush's _The Dreaming, . . .)."

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov