Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy's Kate story.

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 17:51 CDT
Subject: Happy's Kate story.

Vickie here. For those curious, here is Happy Rhodes' "Kate Story"....

Happy saw the Saturday Night Live appearance when she was 13. Though
she didn't dislike it, she thought it was "one of the weirdest things
I'd ever seen"
Then, in 1981, when she was 16, Happy was pen-pals with a fellow in lovely
England. They traded music tapes back and forth and she'd been sending
him lots of Queen, because she loved their harmonies, and he was sending
her things like Toyah and Lene Lovich. He sent her a tape that had the
Kate Bush song "Breathing" on it. As soon as she heard it she was smitten.
She went out and looked for albums but at first could only find one, which
was _The Kick Inside_. She bought it and the rest is history.

Her favorite songs: Hello Earth, Wuthering Heights, Sat In Your Lap
Her favorite album: Doesn't have one, loves them all. When pressed though,
                    she said that she has a special fondness for TKI, and
                    loves TSW because it's Kate's most recent.
Least favorite album: Doesn't have one
Least favorite song: Is a bit put-off by "Love and Anger", mainly because
                     it apalls her when Kate talks about not knowing what
                     the song is about and how she set it aside for a long
                     time before having other musicians help her work it out.

Happy didn't say this, but I can imagine her practicing singing Wuthering
Heights for hours and hours trying to imitate Kate's voice for fun.
Can you imagine having the kind of voice to even be _able_ to imitate
Wuthering Heights???? If anybody could do it, it's Happy! I wonder if
she ever put it onto tape? I've never asked her.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)