Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Force-feeding

From: turney@cs.cornell.edu (Jenn Turney)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 17:48:10 -0400
Subject: Force-feeding

Well, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I need to express this
opinion.

All the recent hubbub in the group about Happy Rhodes has left me with
absolutely no urge to purchase her music.  I really dislike being forced
towards particular music or musicians; I much prefer to discover them
of my own volition or through my own tickled fancy.  I like to think of
myself as a quiet fanatic, just as enchanted by the artists I like as
more vocal admirers, but not out to convert the world.  I've introduced
myself to Kate Bush, Jane Siberry, Suzanne Vega, 10,000 Maniacs (to name
a few) through various encounters.  My first for Suzanne Vega was hearing
Knight Moves on the radio right after she'd performed in town; love at
first sound and I've regretted not attending the concert ever since.
Jane Siberry I found through this group -- a smattering of positive
mentions prompted me to obtain one album; now I have them all.  My first
meeting with Kate was on being allowed the choice of music one evening
at a friend's house.

I hope I'll eventually be able to come across Happy by chance.  I expect
I'll be pleasantly surprised when I find out it's her.  But at this
point, despite my attempted avoidance of the verbiage posted about her in
this group, the element of discovery has been removed and my curiosity
has been stifled.

jenn
| turney@cs.cornell.edu | Dept of Computer Science | Cornell University |
| She winced at his response of such a gratuitous "Wow": it said little |
| for his seizure of her meaning and even less for his lexicon.         |