Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Misc.

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 16:38 CDT
Subject: Misc.

Chris here, bits and pieces....

Andrew B Marvick asked:

>    Btw, was Chris Williams ever able to figure out whether the
> message which was said to have come from Kate for the AATHP
> convention was indeed derived from the Winnipeg Con's taped
> message? Also, was the written message which the Ohioans read
> to attendees of the con there actually seen by fans? Was it
> in Kate's hand? Is a photocopy forthcoming in a future issue of
> _Little_Light_? IED is just curious.

    Well to perfectly frank, no one who attended this "con" and heard
or saw the message has replied to my posting of the Winnipeg message
by either post or e-mail. I fear, based on the silence, that my supposition
was correct, and that Kate never replied to these people. I will be very
happy if I am wrong, as we remember meeting Scott Shepard in Winnipeg and
purchasing many rare and wonderful things from him. It pains me to ascribe
ill motives to him and Cappy. I will gladly retract any of my statements as soon as I see a xerox of Kate's statement. I haven't seen anything that was
indisputably from Kate that wasn't on her "Kate Bush" stationary in her own
inimitable handwriting.

About all this Frippery:

Ray Peck posted:

> They didn't mention who else.  However, I've seen quotes from Fripp
> saying that at the end, the "Discipline" Crimson was quite painful
> for him.  Maybe it got too democratic?  Anyways, because of this, I
> don't expect Belew, though I am still hoping for Levin.  I would be
> very surprised if Bruford weren't in.

    I don't think the problem was democracy. In an interview in _Musician_
the general problem seemed to be that _no one_ wanted to play rhythm!
Bruford wanted to do poly-rhythmic explorations, Belew wanted to play Lead,
Levin also wanted to play Lead, leaving poor Fripp to provide the beat.
This was not a happy situation.

Larry Spence posted:

>>>[Fripp:] Now we come to the humanistic and philosophical reasons why I
>>>oppose the furtive taping of live music.

>Awww, fuck that!  Live tapes may not capture it all, but they're better than
>nothing. %)

   A hearty second!
I would like to see Fripp's over-intellectualized bullshit cross-posted to
the Grateful Dead newsgroups. I'd imagine that fans of the most recorded
group in existence would disagree with him.

Graham Roger Dombkins posted:

> Hey!! Don't forget the Wollongong, New South Wales, Katemas party!! Going
> into it's forth year and still going strong.
>
> - Graham
>
> graham@cs.uow.edu.au

    Hey Graham! Great to see you back on-line, Mate!

Charles Boyer wondered:

> Seriously, though, it makes one wonder.  She apparently likes computers,
> from all that I've read, and besides, anyone who has used a Fairlight
> synth as much as Kate has must love computers at least to a degree!

    Well...in an interview Kate confessed that she had fallen behind the
software revisions of the Fairlight, and that she wasn't computer-oriented
enough to dive in learn all the new features. In the same interview she
mentioned that the complexity of "Page R" (the Fairlight drum program)
was one of the principle reasons that Del did most of the rhythm programming
for the albums.

> I'd be willing to bet, though, that Kate could have any computer her
> heart desired...and that she already has several.

    Maybe. What I'd like to know is...has any U.K. Love-Hound figured out
what machine Kate had on her desk in the "Wogan" _Exp. IV_? The display
looked a bit odd; one column of text scrolling up the right-hand side.
It definitely wasn't a Fairlight display.

Re: Games without Frontiers
meep@WPI.WPI.EDU (The Cutter) wrote:

>> For what it's worth, my copy of "Security" mentions the "first disposable
>> album title" quote on the back, referring to that album.  I think the
>> comments about "So" are correct, however (chosen for shape, not meaning).

>>Anyone else?

Erik D. Olson replied:

>Isn't So the fifth note in the scale (ie: Do Re Mi Fa), corresponding
>to the fifth Gabriel album?  Maybe just a coincidence.

   Clever! Very, very, very, very clever!!

                                    Chris Williams of
                                        Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                            katefans@chinet.chi.il

     % Kate: I don't really know why people think my songs are strange. %
     % Perhaps because I bath in goats milk!! It's not something you    %
     % should really ask me. My Mum could probably help you more. It's  %
     % probably something to do with my childhood.                      %