Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sTuff

From: woj <REWOICC@ERENJ.BITNET>
Date: Wed, 22 May 91 12:24:12 EDT
Subject: sTuff

richard caldwell sez:
>Was this first album on the same record label?  If so why is it being
>released on CD after they've lost their record contract?  I've never
>seen _The Nature of Things_ in any format.

no - _the nature of things_ was released on some small label located in
pheonix, arizona whose name i can never remember (valerie, if you're
reading this, help me out). it is them who are releasing the cd, not irs
records.

>It does seem that they were moving towards a harder edge between _Pin &
>Web_ and _Portent Hue_ and I actually like that.

um...the differences i see between _pin and web_ and _portent hue_ are more
in the area of style and production, as opposed to hardness. _portent hue_
has a quality to the sound which seems to my ear to be smoother and easier
to swallow actually. while i don't know yet if i like that change, i know
i like the album lots and lots (parse that).

>In fact, one person
>warned me away from their earlier stuff saying it was a bit too light.

au contrare! even if it was "too light" in the perspective of this person,
that should not disaude you from searching for this rare slab'o'vinyl (and
soon to be someday cd). in my view though, it is as maniacal at the other
two...and betsy is even harder to understand and, ahem, caterwauls better
than ever.

>In any case please keep us notified of further developments.

will do. i'm gonna send them a note soon and find out from them what is going
on with their situation.

greg say:
>saturday, july 27th does seem to be the ideal day to hold a KaTemas
>party;  unless anyone has an objection this will be the boston area
>date as well.

sounds marvy to me - i'll be there (and greg: i have a door prize for
the party as well - somehow or another, i ended up with an extra copy
of the _if you could see me fly_ cd which i think would be a keen gift
of sorts).

you know, if i had been birthed on time (instead of two days early), i'd
be sharing a b-day with her...

>keep the dreams coming!

alright...i've had two, but only can remember sketchy details of the second
one. for some reason or another, i was in england. it was gray and cloudy,
but i suppose that was to be expected. anyways, it was summer and i had been
invited to visit her at her parents' summer home. so i hoped on my bicycle
and trundled off to where the directions that they had given me indicated.
i got lost once, when i missed the wooded lane that lead up to their drive,
but a quick turnabout in the next intersection remedied that. and as i was
heading back towards the turn, KaTe drove by, waved and continued on. being
on a bike, i took a bit longer to get there, but i did. unfortunately, i
woke up as i was knocking on the door of the house.

i do know that when i dream, i tend to be more awake than most people, so
the active part of my brain that was all excited about this visit apparently
got over-excited and woke me up! :)

>it would be much easier to go via TIFF or PICT format and skip the
>EPS editing, but tifftopgm is rejecting the imagestudio TIFF files.
>sorry for bothering y'all with this stuff, but surely there is an
>old GIFer out there who has some suggestions...?

hmmm...when i did my scans last year, i converted them from the amiga iff
format to gifs by the pbm package written by jef poskanzer. worked liked
a charm (once i got the damn thing to compile on a really old 3b2, ie.
pebbles). i'm fairly certain that pbm supports tiff, but i haven't looked
at that stuff in almost a year (and i don't have access to said amiga
anymore - it's about 400 miles away from me now).

>repeat question:  is there a KaTe.gif index?  (Ron?)

did i make one for the gifs i created? i don't remember...it might be in
the 00readme file i put in /love-hounds/kb/pix/gif.new, but i don't recall
if i ever made it. tonight though, i'll check and if there isn't one, i
will create an index for the gifs i have done at least.

angelos sez:
>BTW In Greek 'gafa' means blunder...Could it be that THAT is what gaffa really
>means?

i've always wondered about this. i once (long ago) made the suggestion that
it was a pun (of sorts) on the word "gaffe", which is akin to a social faux
pas. so suspended in gaffa would mean something like "eternally goofing up"
(or something like that). i'm not sure how this fits into the rest of the
song, but "can i have it all?" surely seems to me like a possible candidate
for a faux pas.

ray peck sez:
>With all this FrippTalk, I thought I'd contribute:
>On MTV Music News this past weekend, there was an item that said:
>"Robert Fripp, leader of arguably the most powerful Art-rock band
>of the 70's, King Crimson, plans to form a new version of that band
>this fall."  They also mentioned the new Fripp/Toyah disk.

two weeks ago, i listened to an interview with fripp and toyah on a local
radio station down here in nj. as i recall, there was no mention of a king
crimson reunion, but that would be welcome news if there was. they did play
a number of tracks from the fripp/toyah release. pretty snazzy (at least
what i heard and remember was pretty snazzy).
--
woj   zengineer/dj for hire/goofball      "one of the band told me last
work: rewoicc@erenj.bitnet                 night that music was all that