Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Games without Frontiers

From: "Jonathan S. Drukman" <jondr@sco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 91 12:11:07 PDT
Subject: Re: Games without Frontiers
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.com

No one yet knows why glarri@adl.AUstek.OZ.AU (Guy Larri) said:
>I've played my "Games without Frontiers" through a few times, listening
>very carefully, and I can't hear anything that sounds like Kate at all
>- it just sounds like Peter Gabrial. What does she sing, is it the
>"chi sans fontiers" bit (excuse my spelling) ?

First, it's "jeux sans frontieres" which is french for "games without
frontiers."  Yes, that's Kate singing that phrase.  She might be elsewhere
on that track but I've not played that song in ages.  (I O.D.'d on PG III
and IV long ago)

#1 - Gabriel in car - known as "Car" by fans.  With Solsbury Hill, Here
Comes The Flood.
#2 - Ripping the cover - known as "Scratch".  With On The Air, DIY, and
that wonderful Robert Fripp production...  Totally scary album.
#3 - Melting face - known as "Melt."  With Games Without Frontiers, I Don't
Remember, Biko.
#4 - Strange video-posterized image.  Known as "???", also known as
"Security" in some countries.  America, for instance.  With Shock The
Monkey, Rhythm Of The Heat, San Jacinto.
#5 - "So" - the "world's first disposable album title."  I think it's a
pretty disposable album, despite Kate's presence.

Kate is on #3 and #5.  On #3 she does the "jeux sans frontieres" and is
also featured on "No Self Control" - check out those flanged "no self
control!"s in the chorus.

Incidentally, if you haven't found a copy of the PG song "Walk Through The
Fire" RUN -do not walk- to your nearest rekkid dealer and DEMAND it.  It's
on the Red Rain 12" and the soundtrack to Against All Odds.

--
Jon Drukman (extended remix)                 uunet!sco!jondr      jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.