Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: That Prince guy...

From: weitzman@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Adam J. Weitzman)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1991 15:35:42 GMT
Subject: Re: That Prince guy...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@news.cs.brandeis.edu

In article <3012@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:

>I read today on the news page of the "Beat Box" section of the
>Oracle-C4 teletext service (teletext is a sort of non-interactive
>bulletin board transmitted with each TV channel we have here) that two
>directors have been signed up for Prince's new videos (Spike somebody and
>somebody else) but that KaTe was "unconfirmed".
>
>I really can't see why She would do it:
>
>a) She doesn't need the money (I wouldn't have thought so anyway 8^)
>b) It would delay the new album (oh no!)
>c) It would delay The SeKond Koming (OH NO!)
>d) I don't know if She would actually want to do someone else's vid. I mean,
>Prince's style is just *so* different...

Well, this being my first post to gaffa, having read it all year, and being
a big Prince fan as well, I'd like to make a quick comment (hope it doesn't
rattle your cage too much :u) :

Did it ever occur to any of you that Kate might actually *want* to do this?
She was asked to do it, and now she's mulling it over in her head, going,
"Hmmmm, this should be... well... *interesting*, anyway." I'm guessing she
probably won't do it, but if she does, hey, why not? Stranger things have
happened (cf. the photo of Axl Rose backstage at the Pet Shop Boys concert
in Rolling Stone). Prince credits Joni Mitchell as one of his big influences,
and he's done sessions with Bonnie Raitt (which unfortunately have not seen
the light of day), which is not to say that these artists are similar to Kate
(far from it), but that Prince does branch out quite a bit.

Personally, I get a big kick out of these weird pairings. I think "Time Zone"
by Afrika Bambaataa and John Lydon is one of the best songs of recent years. I
say, hey, if she wants to, then heck, go for it. Maybe there's something in
her personality you all aren't quite aware of yet. (Yeah, I doubt it too, but
you never know. :u) The thing I don't understand is why you all have any
reason to worry about it. (OK, the Sinead O'Connor thing, but do any of you
really believe Sinead is telling the *whole* truth?) I see Kate as a very
independent and interesting artist, and maybe she just wants to see what it
will be like. Maybe she doesn't. Time will tell...

Maybe Prince just wants to work with someone shorter than he is! :u)

--

					- Adam J Weitzman
					  weitzman@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu