Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Lyrics

From: "Jonathan S. Drukman" <jondr@sco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 91 12:01:54 PDT
Subject: Kate Lyrics
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.com

No one yet knows why sauron@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Patrick Ryan) said:
>Sorry if this is a) a repeat of already-brought-up information, or
>b)inappropriate, but has anybody got a copy of the lyrics of "Deeper
>Understanding" on the Sensual World CD?

They're in the CD booklet, unless you've got some new edition which doesn't
include the lyrics sheet...

>And, since this is the first time I realized that this group existed,
>can anybody enlighten me as to WHAT THE HELL "GAFFA" IS?  And how does
>one get suspended in it?  :v)

Oh dear lord, grant me the strength...

Cast your minds back with me, fellow Love-Hounders, to when I was living in
Boston...  On one occasion, I was moved to ask |>ear old |>oug "why the
hell did you name the newsgroup rec.music.gaffa, all it ever does is
provoke endless discussions of what the hell `gaffa' really is."

He got into his infuriated-at-the-injustice-of-it-all mode, as he is wont
to do when someone poses a particularly irksome question and then revealed
to me that it wasn't his choice - he originally wanted
rec.music.love-hounds but was told that it was "too long."  Bah!  They've
got "sci.physics.edward-teller.boom.boom.boom" and they've got the gall to
complain about r.m.love-hounds!  I suspect they just thought having the
name "love-hounds" on the rec hierarchy would get some of the stuffed
shirts at Big Corporations up in arms.  "Love-Hounds?  Why couldn't they
just stick to alt.sex.bestiality?"

So, to answer the original question: gaffa is a form of chocolate bar that
Kate is particularly fond of and one can easily be suspended in it if one
melts enough of them in a large galvanized steel tub.  I find it a
particularly refreshing way to relax after a long day slaving in front of a
hot CRT.  This is all revealed on Kate's award-winning album "Hounds Of
Chocolate."

Actually, I lied.  It's a kind of gaffer's tape which is like duct tape
only she couldn't just come out and say "duct tape" because then we
wouldn't have endless arguments on L-H that run like this:

L-H 1: "It's duct tape!"
L-H 2: "No it isn't!!"
L-H 1: "Well what is it, then?"
L-H 2: "I don't know, maybe it's a form of chocolate bar?"
L-H 1: "I thought that moron Drukman made that up?"
L-H 2: "Did he?  Oh, I believe everything he says cos he's so cute and clever."
L-H 3: "Me too!  Let's elect him president of the universe!"
L-H 4: "It's duct tape!"

Also, imagine how it would sound on record:

	Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
	It all goes slo-mo
	I don't know why I'm crying
	Am I suspended in duct tape?

OK.  Who put the phenobarbitol in my herbal tea?

--
Jon Drukman (extended remix)                 uunet!sco!jondr      jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.