Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Steve Masters on MTV now -- but don't get excited

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 15 May 91 20:05:55 PDT
Subject: Steve Masters on MTV now -- but don't get excited

Steve Masters is the Music Director of KITS San Francisco, and he's
also one of the DJs.  He is at least a moderate Kate fan.  For one
thing, he's the guy who decides what music the station will play,
and they DO play Kate, at least occasionally.  For another, he once
called "Wuthering Heights" "one of my favorite songs of all time", and
when "The Sensual World" was new, he called it "the most beautiful
new import."

He also likes the Cocteau Twins.  He called _Blue Bell Knoll_ "one
of my top ten albums" of the year it came out.

On the other hand, he sometimes raves about groups I don't like
much at all.  Generally, this doesn't bother me, because I don't
care what else he likes or doesn't like, as long as he likes Kate!

So I was wary but encouraged when I found out that Steve Masters
would have a show on MTV.  (It's now on from noon to 3 pm in the
Pacific Time Zone.  I don't know when it's on in other places.)

However --

Steve explained on his radio show the other day that he does NOT get
to pick the videos that are played on his MTV show.  "Some of the
videos I like, and some I don't like," he said.  He said he's
hoping to get some national exposure so he can have his own show
one day, and play what he wants.

I saw a few minutes of his show on MTV today, and it looks exactly
like the rest of MTV.  I saw a video for Slayer, and that's a group
that's NEVER played on KITS.  Yet Steve managed to say something
nice about it.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to post this in case anyone sees the show
and wants to say, "THAT'S the Steve Masters that supposedly likes Kate?
He's playing nothing but crap!"  It's currently not his choice.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov