Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: pete@minster.york.ac.uk
Date: 11 May 1991 12:56:05 GMT

From: pete@minster.york.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Other Female Singers
In article <9105101347.AA16265@sqa.dsg.ti.com> jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) writes:

>In article <00948496d71649a0@cedar.stl.co.uk> S.L.Fagg@stl.co.uk
>(Steve Fagg) writes:
>>In the recent discussions about other female vocalists of note, I've been a
>>bit surprised to see no mention of Julia Fordham. Does anybody have any views,
>>either for or against? Does anybody know of any albums beyond the eponymous
>>one and "Porcelain"?
>
>I really like Julia Fordham. Her music is quite different from Kate's
>(much more of a Latin/jazz/worldbeat influence), but she writes,
>produces, and sings her own material. Her lyrics are often far more
>clever than what one typically finds in a jazz/pop song - I have found
>I really need her lyrics in hand when I listen!
>
>I believe that _Julia Fordham_ and _Porcelain_ are her only albums.
>She was supposed to play in Austin last year at a local jazz-oriented
>club, but had to cancel. :-(

I believe there is another version of the ``Julia Fordham'' album -- instead
of the B&W photo on the cover there is a gold-tinted version and I think it
includes some live tracks recorded in Japan (???). An excellent singer,
anyway.

Re: other female singers...

Anyone else out there listen to Helen Watson? One of the most under-rated
singer/songwriters around, IMHO. She's recorded two excellent albums ``Blue
Slipper'' and ``The Weather Inside'', both of which are full of great songs
with absolutely excellent lyrics. Watson is rather more r&b/blues influenced
than many other female songwriters,  and her lyrics tend to deal more in the
trials and tribulations of everyday life than the esoterica of KaTe etc. Her
songs are literate and entertaining, her voice is very good and I don't know
why she isn't more popular!!! She did have one fairly successful single in
the UK, ``You're Not The Rule (You're The Exception)'', about four years
ago.

A few other female singers I enjoy listening to: Suzanne Vega, Karen
Peris (The Innocence Mission), Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), Liz
Fraser (Cocteau Twins), KaTe, Julia Fordham, Bjork (Sugarcubes), Tracey
Thorn, Rosie Vela (whatever happened to her!), Tanya Donelly/Kristin Hersh
(Throwing Muses), Tracy Tracy (Primitives)....etc etc etc....

	Pete Fenelon
--
Dept. of Computer Science|INTERNET: pete@minster.york.ac.uk
University of York       |UUCP:     {the world}!ukc!minster!pete