Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Female Singers

From: jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.com (jeff abbott (TB02))
Date: Fri, 10 May 91 8:47:53 CDT
Subject: Re: Other Female Singers

In article <00948496d71649a0@cedar.stl.co.uk> S.L.Fagg@stl.co.uk
(Steve Fagg) writes:
>In the recent discussions about other female vocalists of note, I've been a
>bit surprised to see no mention of Julia Fordham. Does anybody have any views,
>either for or against? Does anybody know of any albums beyond the eponymous
>one and "Porcelain"?

I really like Julia Fordham. Her music is quite different from Kate's
(much more of a Latin/jazz/worldbeat influence), but she writes,
produces, and sings her own material. Her lyrics are often far more
clever than what one typically finds in a jazz/pop song - I have found
I really need her lyrics in hand when I listen!

I believe that _Julia Fordham_ and _Porcelain_ are her only albums.
She was supposed to play in Austin last year at a local jazz-oriented
club, but had to cancel. :-(

Other female vocalists I like (closer to Julia in style than Kate) are
Basia, the Polish jazz singer, and Tracey Thorn of a British group
called "Everything But The Girl". Again, music that is quite different
from Kate's, but still quite enjoyable. Both women have very expressive
voices.

Just for the record, my other female favorites are k.d. lang, Bonnie
Raitt, Sinead O'Connor, and Annie Lennox (oh, yes, and now Happy
Rhodes!)

Jeff

--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com