Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Album covers (Happy and KaTe)

From: dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu (Doug Burks)
Date: 9 May 91 14:34:03 GMT
Subject: Album covers (Happy and KaTe)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU

Greetings,
     I hope that no one got the wrong idea from my original post that I
dislike the strange album covers Happy painted for her cassettes.  'Strange'
and 'quirky' are practically compliments from me, and I hope Happy has the
guts to keep them when re-issuing her music on CD (or dare I breath the hope,
when issued more commercially).  I will admit to being stunned when they
spilled out of the mailer package, but as was already mentioned, these
creatures well represent the demons Happy is trying to exorcise through her
music.  (Quick, name other songs with the words 'wretches', 'alien', etc.
in their titles!!)  My favorite is the jolly looking fellow on Vol II.  His
toothsome grin just shows his anticipation at ripping out your guts (or in
line with Happy's themes, your heart/life/soul/spirit).  The very vague
images on the covers of _Rearmament_ and _Ecto_ are more chilling in their
lack of definition.  Your own brain fills in the dread and uncertainties in
these black and white images, unlike the clear color painting on Vols I and
II.  For those curious about the _Warpaint_ CD cover, I find the black and
white portrait of Happy reminiscent of Suzanne Vega's on _The Days of Open
Hand_.
     While on the subject on album covers and to return to the subject of
Our KaTeness, I was listening to _Hounds of Love_ recently on the CD from
my British box set, while perusing the cover of my American album (I know
that T< is in there somewhere!!).  I noticed that the Tennyson quote for
_The Ninth Wave_ has two different credits.  The American LP credits it to
_The Coming of Arthur_, while the British CD says _The Holy Grail_.  Is one
in error, or is this just another example of 'two peoples separated by a
common language'?  Just curious.
     [Three Happy albums down, two to go, and still on a Happy high!]

Doug Burks                                     _O_
dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu                 |<       She really is!!

     'What was the question?  I was looking at the big sky!!' -- KT