Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: l-h outreach

From: apple.com!well!rickt (Rick Thompson)
Date: Sat, 4 May 91 19:07:55 pdt
Subject: Re: l-h outreach

Richard Caldwell writes:

>And add to that some sort of pre-tour ticket sales through fan
>organizations.  This should definitely be the highest possible
>priority.  I've haven't got a clue what size venue Kate would play
>(hopefully nice little 'intimate' places) but there's every possibility
>that word will get out that it is _the_ show of a life-time and
>true-believers could be left outside as the infidels snatch up all
>the tickets. <I awake in a cold sweat>

   Richard, I wouldn't bet on "nice little 'intimate' places, however
nice it might be!
   Still, what I worry about isn't so much the "infidels" _per se_,
but rather about commercial ticket agencies. After all, these people
are in the _business_ of snatching up the best possible tickets in
the largest possible quantities, and they're already very heavily
connected to accomplish that -- often to the point where the artists
themselves have difficulty establishing control over it. I'm not all
that concerned that the tickets won't be there at all, but I do worry
that they're going to be available only through these people, and
at astronomical prices. Worse, given the fact that these folks are
already positioned to grab them, I haven't got the vaguest idea of
what to suggest to do about it.
   Anybody out there got any ideas?

   | rickt@well.sf.ca.us         | "And I don't know when          |
   | J. R. Thompson (Rick)       |  But just saying it could       |
   | Upstate NY                  |         even make it happen..." |