Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Milgram's 37

From: A Huge Ever-Growing Pulsating Brain <jondr@sco.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 12:31:36 PDT
Subject: Re: Milgram's 37
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.com

In article <1991Apr12.112807.5289@agate.berkeley.edu> nehaniv@oreo.berkeley.edu (Chrystopher Lev Nehaniv) writes:
>Actually the `shocked' strangers weren't being shocked, but were
>actors acting shocked. The ethics brouhaha was about deception of
>the subjects and their being made to do something apparently immoral.

Of course, that was only the entire point of the experiment.  Some
people just don't get it, do they?

If it hasn't already been mentioned, Milgram himself wrote a book on
the experiment called Obedience To Authority.  I recommend it heartily.

There is also a film that they showed us in Legal Studies that dealt
with this experiment, although I don't know how you could get a copy
of it if you're not in school.

jon drukman                 jondr@sco.com       always note the sequencer:
sco docland wage slave      uunet!sco!jondr     this will never let us down