Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Spellings

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 14:18:25 GMT-0:00
Subject: Spellings

>From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
>Subject: Cloudbusting
>        To our ENGLISH love-hounds: I have noticed several "errors?" in Kate's
>articles where an "s" is substituted for a "z", like cosy for cozy, or realise
>for realize.  These words are not recognized on my spelling checker or in my
>dictionary and was wondering if they are "british" spellings?  I would just
>ingnore them or add them to my spelling checker's dictionary, but I mis-spell
>those words to and don't want my checker programed wrong!  I must already have
>confused it will all those "Kate" words :_)

Good luck with the Cloudbusting project.

There are likely to be a number of differences between English and US
spellings. Obviously, if there is a quote from Kate you should use the
English spelling. However, you may find that there are some words which
are acceptable in more than one spelling (particularly where the 's' and
'z' alternatives are concerned).

For the examples you cite my small dictionary gives "cosy" and "realize" as
the correct English spellings. The Shorter Oxford English dictionary gives
"cosy" and "cozy" as both being acceptable but has "realize" alone as
being correct.

If you are in doubt just post the text and then English love-hounds can
pass it through their spell checkers or make comments as appropriate.

Neil
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk