Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Sensual World Videos

From: foster@convex.com (Harry Foster)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1991 13:29:07 GMT
Subject: Re: The Sensual World Videos
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@convex.com (news access account)

Some additional comment about "This Woman's Work".

graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham) writes:
>This Woman's Work - see above. One of her most beautiful songs. It was written
>for She's Having a Baby, but the video gives a different interpretation. The
>dinner - car - ambulance sequence is really moving. Tim McInnerey (sp?) does

I found that the camera work on this sequence to be really clever, with a
continuous motion of events to the right.  Falling from the dinner table
into her chair.  Her lover picks her up and moves off the right side of the
screen and into the waiting car on the left side of the screen, etc.

To me, what makes this song unique is the extreme audio dynamics.  It starts
so softly and sweet.  Then builds to a massive crescendo with the background
vocals screaming their part, the last chord almost dissonant.  I still get
chills every time I hear it.
--
Harry Foster                                        foster@convex.com
        I haven't understood a bar of music in my life,