Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello, various...

From: "DAVID CALDWELL" <caldwell@cwbio.BIOC.CWRU.Edu>
Date: 11 Apr 91 13:58:00 EST
Subject: Hello, various...

	Hello!  I've been reading this newsgroup for a little while now, and I
like it, of course.  I've been looking for an outlet for my Kate
(no-word-seems-appropriate-here) for a while, and this should be a great help.
It should add to the familiar outlet of being some sort of missionary, trying
to convert others...

	At any rate, I shall now offer a few of the things that have been going
through my mind as I read, in no particular order:

	1.)  As a new reader, I should mention that perhaps the routine monthly
posting is too infrequent.  It took me a great deal of effort in trying to
figure out how to post to this newsgroup, although once I found the r.m.p., it
didn't seem too hard.  (I guess I shouldn't talk this way until I post this
message successfully!)  I would think that other browsers might find it easier
if they could find some centralized info on how to post, where to find the
archives (they're great, by the way!), etc.  The other newsgroups I read (there
are about two others) are still beyond my comprehension (how to post, etc.)

	2.)  I would second the comments made earlier by someone (I have no
idea) who suggested that the description given in the rec.music.* r.m.p. is
inaccurate.  When I first saw that description, I was startled to see that Kate
Bush was being used as an example of "progressive" music, given her low
recognition level among U.S. readers, at least.  (I was curious as to how the
newsgroup had acquired the sobriquet "gaffa," of course.)  I was fairly
startled to find the contents of the newsgroup as they were.  I don't of
course, have a perfect description, but I liked the one about "Kate Bush and
music of interest to her fans," or whatever.

	3.)  Now, I digress from the subject for a moment.  I don't know what
portion of you read rec.music.misc, but I'll summarize (very briefly!) a couple
of discussions from over there:

		a.)  River City People -- who are they, etc.  From what I
			gather, there might be a great deal of interest in
			them among these readers (although I haven't heard
			any of their stuff).

		b.)  Some "supertour" with a bunch of bands that might be of
			interest to many of you (some of them are to me,
			certainly!), including (I gather):  Living Colour,
			Siouxsie, Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails,
			the Butthole Surfers, Gang of Four, and Ice-T (how he
			gets included here, I don't know).

	I don't know if these would be appropriate issues to be discussed in
this forum or not; I haven't been here long enough to decide.  If not, those
with interest might want to refer to rec.music.misc.  My only observation is
that the exceedingly high volume there might prevent love-hounds from following
discussions.  I kill about 80% of messages myself.  I'll leave it to the floor,
but I think that both of these threads might be worth a home on gaffa.

							- David Caldwell