Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rocket Kate

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 13:29:43 PST
Subject: Re: Rocket Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Something I have been wondering about very intermittently:
>
>A year or two ago I recall reading an item (in Homeground, methinks) which
>reported that KaTe had recorded her own (and no doubt remarkable) version of
>Elton John's "Rocket Man" to be included in a planned album tribute to E.J.
>However, it was also reported that the project had been temporarily(?) shelved.
>My question, then, is whether anybody out there knows if either the album or
>the song is going to be released for public consumption any time soon (or if it
>has, and I've just missed it, which certainly would not be out of the realm of
>possibility for me). So, anyone have a clue?  My suspicion is that "I think
>it's gonna be a long, long time" before this song re-enters our anxious
>atmosphere. Hope I'm wrong... :)

>GRAVENDE@vm.epas.utoronto.ca  (david gravender)    "i put on my cloudiest suit"

What you have just said is the latest information we have on this song.
Nobody knows when, or even if, this Elton John tribute will be released.
I heard that some of the artists didn't come through on their commitments,
so the album was never finished.  However, Kate's cover of R.M. was
definitely finished.  God knows if we'll ever hear it, though.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov