Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: get out of my house

From: Richard Caley <rjc@cstr.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 3 Apr 91 07:07:53 GMT
Subject: Re: get out of my house
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aipna.ed.ac.uk

In article <9104011521.aa18846@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>, jon drukman (jd) writes:

jd> Someone said that the lines "this house is full of my mess" etc didn't
jd> make sense in this context.  Well, if you take the house of the song
jd> to metaphorically represent the heroine's body, it will make a lot
jd> more sense.

Nope, no connection there for me.

jd> And anyway, how do you make sense of "My home, my joy/ ***I'M*** barred
jd> and bolted" otherwise?

Metaphorically.

jd> Besides, "this house is as old as I am, this house knows all I have
jd> done..."  What does this suggest if the house isn't equivalent
jd> (metaphorically) to the heroine?  They just happened to build the house
jd> on the same day she was born?

Woman =/= body.

Agree with you about playing it loud thoug.

In fact, given that only the cleaners are in at this time and they
already think I am round the twist...

--
rjc@cstr.ed.ac.uk	Letting the weirdness in.