Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

At last! Someone understands!

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1991 08:26 PST
Subject: At last! Someone understands!

>  Some of her music ("The Dreaming"
>in particular) is the "Platonic" ideal/archetypical album of which
>all other albums are but shadows of this ultimate reality.
>
>Dave Neff
>neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

At last!  Someone understands!  "The Dreaming" is the only album that
exists.  Its existence denies the reality of all others.

>Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 10:30:52 -0500
>From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
>
>Michael Graham writes:
>
>>Has Kate, in any of her TD era interview, ever explained the meaning behind
>>"Get Out of My House"? It's one of my favorite songs, but I have no idea what
>>she is talking about.
>

>I remember a long discussion about this song a fairly long time ago.  I
>don't have any interviews about "GOoMH" myself, though I remember someone
>posting something where she talked about the meaning of the mule.

That was an interview by our very own ex-humble-pseudo-moderator |>oug.

Doug asked Kate if his interpretation of the mule were correct.  Doug's
interpretation is that at the beginning of the song, both the man and the
women are donkeys (you can here them at the beginning).  At the end of the
song, they turn into mules.  Doug thought that this symbolized the breakup
because donkeys can mate and have offspring, whereas mules cannot mate and
have offspring (mules are usually sterile).

Kate replied something like, "I don't know what you think of mules in American,
but in Britain they are considered very _stupid_ animals."

So the change into the mule is really just symbolizing their stupidity at the
end.

Although Kate rejected Doug's interpretation, I find myself thinking of it
every time I listen to the song.  I find it an interesting way to think about
the song.

>The way I interpret the song is that the woman has just had an argument
>with the man, and he's left the house.  In her anger, she has become
>stubborn, and refuses to talk to him.  At the end of the song, the two
>have a duel of sorts, much like on the old Disney film, "The Sword in the
>Stone," in which they keep changing shapes to "defeat" each other.  Eventually
>the woman shows the ultimate in stubborness--"I change into the Mule," a
>traditionally stubborn animal.
>
>Overall, the song shows the danger of being stubborn instead of communicative.

And gives an opinion on it: it's _stupid_.

An interesting aside, the book, _Kate_Bush:_A_Visual_Documentary_ gives an
interpretation of the song as being about rape.  I think IED has trashed this
interpretation in the past, though.  IED, any comments?

>I'll grant you that "There Goes a Tenner" is fairly simple; the only interview
>I've heard in which it's discussed involves the interviewer trying to tack
>something about the song being a parallel to KaTe's career, which she
>ripped apart and then said "It's just about a bank robbery."
>

>Jeff

Again, this was our own ex-humble-pseudo-moderator |>oug.  Kate seemed to get
mad in the interview when he brought up this interpretation--maybe because he
had discovered the secret meaning?  Anyhow, I've never actually seen |>oug
post a detailed description of how the song exactly parallel's Kate's
career.  It would be interesting if he did (hint, hint).

-andy