Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

How I came across Kate

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 91 12:01:48 PST
Subject: How I came across Kate

I just got back from my two week business trip to find people
discussing how they discovered Kate.  I thought I'd tell my
story, being a fairly long-time love-hound subsciber.

The year was 1982.  I was a junior in college.  I was a moderate
Pat Benatar fan, and I had _Crimes of Passion_.  I liked "Wuthering
Heights" on that album quite a bit, especially since it was so
different from anything else on that album.

One day I was walking in a corridor of my dorm and I heard what sounded
like W.H. coming out of a friend's room.  I couldn't hear very clearly
out in the corridor, so I thought it was the P.B. version.  "Hey,
that's Pat Benatar," I said.

"No it isn't, it's Kate Bush!" said my friend from inside his room.

"Who?" I said, and went in to listen more carefully.  My friend was
taping _The Kick Inside_ for another friend, so I listened to the
rest of that album.  By the time it was over, I was hooked!

Later I noticed that the label on my P.B. album said "Wuthering
Heights (K. Bush)".

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov