Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why Deify Kate?

From: S89 <lawtonj@project4.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: 28 Mar 91 13:28:12 GMT
Subject: Re: Why Deify Kate?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.man.ac.uk

In <2770002@hp-vcd.HP.COM> neff@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.COM (Dave Neff) writes:

>I just don't get it ...

>doubt that even her works will be "immortal" (unlike those of the
>classical masters).  I doubt that 200 years from now anyone will be
>listening to Kate or Peter Gabriel, or most of our current rock greats.
>There may be some contemporary artists whose work endures for
>centuries (perhaps some of the Beatles material).

Why - why The Beatles? I mean I know the concencus is they're great, but if
they survive for centuries it will be because of the myth that they're the
only great pop band. 'The Beatles' is a modern myth (not are, I'm making the
point of The Beatles being one thing), that THEY were THAT great. Any single
facet of the Beatles work has easily been surpassed by other artists - they're
progression through different musical styles is certainly interesting though.
However I can think of many other artists equally destined to survive -
my English teacher at school taught Dylan in poetry, The Byrds should also
survive as the inventors of folk-rock.
Actually I believe people in 200 years probably will investigate 20th century
music - many people buy 50s blues recordings, while artists like Nick Drake in
the 60s were merely recording old-style folk music which was already timeless.
As long as continual critical works relating to the past are produced then
interest will continue - I'm 19, yet many of favourite works come from the 60s
& early 70s and I know many people younger than me investigating the same paths.
Whether contemporary music like Gabriel & Bush will survive is another matter -
I suspect that interest will probably tail off in much of their work, as, as you
rightly noticed, Kate survives by a cult of personality - the fact that until
recently both these artists used the latest technology means the works will
probably sound dated in 50 years. I do suspect though that there will be some
interest out there, somewhere. Kate's music affects many people to an obsessive
degree, so obviously she touch's a certain kind of person, who I imagine would
always be receptive to her music if presented with it.
Don't forget - popular recorded music is a modern form, in much the same way as
cheaply printed entertainment novels were last century. I wonder how many people
then thougt that the Brontes would still be read, let alone be influential, in
200 years? (or Jane bloody Austen)

>Dave Neff
>neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

Julian Lawton