Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lionheart

From: turney@cs.cornell.edu (Jenn Turney)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1991 14:28:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Lionheart
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.cornell.edu (USENET news user)

Rich Chandler asks:
  Who is the "Cripen"(Crippen?) referred to in Coffee Homeground?

Well, while I can't give an answer with certainty, sitting here at my
terminal I discover a card catalog listing for a book entitled _The
Trial of Hawley Harvey Crippen_, from the series "Notable British
trials", along with the note "Dr. Crippen was tried in 1910, for the
murder of his wife, Cora Crippen."  Must have been some fantastic
trial, as the book is over 200 pages long, with even a few pictures.
Perhaps he poisoned her!

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can get from here; this listing is
from the UC system catalog and I'm in New York.  But it is a start,
and a rather promising one.  Anyone care to follow up?  It would
probably help further searchers to know that the name of the book's
editor is Filson Young.  There are copies of the book at UCLA, UC
Irvine, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCSF, and Hastings.

"Have the walls got ears here?"

Jenn
--
________
  |  |	   turney@svax.cs.cornell.edu  |  Let us go singing as far as we go:
| |  |	   Dept. of Computer Science   |  the road will be less tedious.
\_|  |	   Cornell University	       |      		      -- Virgil