Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Observations

From: hanson@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Kent Hanson)
Date: 27 Mar 91 22:15:19 GMT
Subject: Re: Observations
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I concur with your observations regarding the dynamics of one's Kate-
relationship--at different times and in different ways and degrees,
I have embraced different songs/albums:  the bottom line and common
denominator is, of course, Kate.

I certainly envy your poster collection and wonder if you can shed
any light on how I can track down any/all/some here in California.
Some kind of catalogue, maybe.

Hey, I always loved Violin, but why--it's a musical thing, the chords,
the abrasiveness, the wildness (actually I prefer the Hammersmith
version to NfE).  But, about Walk Straight Down the Middle, hey, that
one to me seals The Sensual World, like a farewell coda for the (to me)
well-integrated and unified album...and what about in the chorus where
she sings "It wasn't easy, though..." and "It hadn't started yet, ohhh"
--that VOICE! kind of "nasal" kind of "ethereal"; and of course the
trills at the end; and during each chorus the background arpeggios by
the keyboard...well, that's what I like about that one.  Not to mention
that it does affect me beyond the objective, musical elements!

Regarding "favorite albums", I really wonder why so few choose TSW,
since it is, after all, the representative of the most mature Kate
so far...it certainly gets to ME ... such discussions are fun,
diverting, and help us get to know each other, the "invisible fraternity".

Kent Hanson
Hewlett-Packard Corporate Headquarters