Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Why Deify Kate?

From: neff@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (Dave Neff)
Date: 26 Mar 91 18:28:57 GMT
Subject: Why Deify Kate?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I just don't get it ...

In this newsgroup it seems that Kate is more than a mortal, she is a
venerated deity.  People testify of "how they found Kate" as if she
were some sort of religious conversion.  Some of her music ("The Dreaming"
in particular) is the "Platonic" ideal/archetypical album of which
all other albums are but shadows of this ultimate reality.

I do think Kate is talented.  Her creativity is in the same league as
people like Peter Gabriel and Bryan Ferry (and a few others I could
list).  But she is but a talented, mortal artist.  In fact, I would
doubt that even her works will be "immortal" (unlike those of the
classical masters).  I doubt that 200 years from now anyone will be
listening to Kate or Peter Gabriel, or most of our current rock greats.
There may be some contemporary artists whose work endures for
centuries (perhaps some of the Beatles material).  I like Kate's music.
I like Peter Gabriels music.  I like Bryan Ferry's music.  Sometimes
the music is quite moving.  But I don't venerate or deify any of these
artists or their works.

Is there something about Kate being a woman (and an attractive one at
that) which adds to this tendancy of some (generally men may I add) who
venerate her person and material?  I just don't get is ...

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM